SCI’S SOUTHEAST MICHIGAN BOWHUNTERS CHAPTER
The Southeast Michigan Bowhunters Chapter received its charter from SCI in August of 1990. Since then the chapter has grown rapidly and has become one of the most active pro-hunting organizations in Michigan.
The name Safari Club may bring to mind exotic hunting trips to Africa. In fact, the majority of our members rarely venture from the great deer woods of Michigan. They are, in fact, your average Michigan bowhunter, with some still in search of that elusive first whitetail with a bow.
What is not so average about our members is that they are very active and willing to get involved. Our members enjoy the camaraderie of our informal meetings, learning from our guest speakers, writing letters to their congressmen, instructing new, young hunters on ethics and safety, and getting together now and then for chapter shoots, hunts, and various fun activities and social events.
Aside from generating funds through raffles, and other activities, the chapter also hosts an annual fund raising banquet which includes both live and silent auctions of guided hunts, fishing charters, wildlife art, jewelry, furs, hunting gear and more. These funds allow the chapter to:
- Instruct young hunters.
- Educate local school teachers on wildlife conservation and hunting, and furnish them with teaching aids.
- Co-sponsor state conservation projects with the DNR.
- Finance efforts to defeat anti-hunting and support pro-hunting legislation.
- Fund the Michigan Sportsmen Against Hunger Program, providing game meat for the hungry and positive press for all hunters.
- Finance many worthwhile programs to ward off the efforts of anti-hunters and to promote hunting in a positive light to the public.
In short, our organization is fully dedicated to opposing those who try to deny sportsmen their right to hunt. At the same time, we do our best to enjoy ourselves and have fun. After all, that’s what our sport is all about.
Chapter Membership- Includes benefits of membership in the local chapter and privileges of membership in Safari Club International, such as:
- SCI membership card & sticker
- SAFARI Magazine bi-monthly
- Safari Times monthly newsletter
- SCI’s In The Crosshairs e-bulletin
- SCI’s International Hunting Convention
- Local Chapter Fund Raiser Banquet
- SCI mailings & important notices
- Worldwide trophy competition
- Eligible for listing in SCI Record Book
- SCI Special Programs:
- – Safari Wish
- – Merchandise
- – Hunt Cancellation Hotline
- – Outfitter/Guide Hunt Reports
- – Trophy insurance
- – Charge cards
We hold general membership meetings around the metro Detroit area on various weekday evenings on the months listed in our website calendar. Our meetings are informal, entertaining, informative and fun for everyone. We invite you to come check us out.
If you hunt with a bow in Michigan and believe in what we are doing, you belong in SCI’s Southeast Michigan Bowhunters Chapter.